Dress Code InformationIMPORTANT UPDATE! The "Dress for Success" dress code has been discontinued.
(Uniforms will not be required for the 2022-23 school year.)
Michigan City Area Schools Dress Code
Students must dress appropriately for school. The following dress code rules will apply:
1. Clothing signifying gang-related activities, slogans, colors, etc. is prohibited.
2. T-shirts, other attire, or jewelry that advertise or promote alcoholic beverages,
drugs, cigarettes, vaping, profanity, or the disregard for others are unacceptable.
3. Hats, bandanas, and other headgear are not to be worn in the building. This includes extracurricular activities.
4. Mesh tops, see-through tops, spaghetti tops, or tank tops with enlarged sleeve openings are prohibited.
5. Skirts and shorts shall be no less than mid-thigh length.
6. Jackets, coats, gloves, or other forms of outerwear are not to be worn in the classroom.
7. Shoes must be worn at all times.
8. Beachwear and pajamas are prohibited.
9. All pants must be worn at the waistline.
10. Straps that are unbuckled and belts that are unfastened or anything dangling from the waist or pockets such as chains, ropes, rags, etc are prohibited.
11. Tops and pants that reveal the midriff or undergarments are prohibited.
12. Any clothing or appearance that is disruptive to the educational process is prohibited.
Violations of the dress code will result in disciplinary action as outlined in the Code of Responsible Behavior.
Approved by the Michigan City Area Schools Board of Trustees July 28, 2020
ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE BASED ON PARENT QUESTIONS: Hoodies ARE permitted this year at all schools, as long as they meet the guidelines above. Rips in jeans are okay but they shouldn't be excessive/ reveal undergarments. Leggings are not acceptable as pants (unless worn with a long shirt or dress). Shoes should be close-toed (no flipflops/slides).