Work Permits for Students
- MCHS students (during the school year): Work Permits are issued at the high school. Please visit the front office for assistance during the school year.
- All others: Permits are issued at the MCAS Administration Building (408 S. Carroll Avenue, Michigan City, IN 46360)
Permits will be issued from the Admin Building during the following hours:
- During the school year: Mon - Fri, 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM & 12:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Summer: Mon - Thu, 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM & 12:00 PM - 3:30 PM
To receive a work permit, you will need:
- An "Intent to Employ" form, already completed by the employer. The form can be found online (click here and scroll down to "Posters and Forms for Employers"). The student may also receive a physical copy from their prospective employer or from the MCAS Administration Building.
- Certified Birth Certificate from the Health Department (not needed if applying at MCHS. All students applying at the Ad Building must bring a birth certificate.)
- The student must be physically present.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Permits are issued at no cost.
- Students from the age of 14 through 17 may apply. If students are over 18, a work permit is not needed.
- Barker and Krueger students may come to the MCAS Administration Building. They will also need a letter from their school which states they are in good standing for the current school year.
- MCHS students may receive their work permit from the MCHS School Office during the school year. During summer, they may come to the MCAS Administration Building.
- MCHS students do not need to bring their birth certificate.
- If the student is a Michigan City resident but attends a school other than MCHS, they must go to their own school's office to receive the permit. This includes Marquette High School and other public high schools.
- If the student plans on working in Indiana but is a resident of any other state, they may come to the MCAS Administration Building.
- If the student is an Indiana resident but plans on working in any other state, they must ask their prospective employer for further assistance. The MCAS Administration Building only issues permits for jobs within the state of Indiana.
- Withdrawn students who attend the Michigan City Adult Ed. program (currently housed at the A.K. Smith Center) may come to the MCAS Administration Building. No letter of good standing is needed.
- Homeschool students who are residents of Michigan City may come to the MCAS Ad Building for a permit.
Please CLICK HERE for more information about Work Permits from the Indiana Department of Labor.