WHO IS AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL COUNSELOR?
- A certified, specially trained, caring person
- A faculty member who provides guidance to all students
- A resource person
- A coordinator
- A consultant
- A group leader
- A person who helps teachers, parents, students and administrators
WHAT DOES AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL COUNSELOR DO?
- Helps students develop a positive attitude toward school and learning
- Helps students develop good relationships with peers, parents, teachers and siblings
- Helps students improve their communication skills and develop effective decision-making strategies
- Helps students deal with personal concerns, developmental tasks, crises, school related problems, home concerns, academic struggles, behavioral concerns, health and physical development
- Helps to ease the transitions between school settings
- Plans and implements with teachers a program of activities designed to enhance the personal social/emotional development of elementary students
- Consults with parents regarding academic, behavioral, or social development of their child
HOW DOES A STUDENT SEE THE COUNSELOR?
- By self referral
- By teacher referral
- By parent referral
- By administrative referral
- By referral by a friend
Behavioral Health Hospital: www.michianabehavioralhealthcenter.com
Local Mental Health: www.swansoncenter.org
Suicide Prevention: www.suicidepreventionlifeline.orgCONTACT INFORMATIONFor more information about how our school's counselor can help you or your child, please contact the staff member pictured at the bottom right of this page.
873-2090 Extension 6341