Walking to School or the Bus Stop
As we begin a new school year, the Michigan City Area Schools and the Michigan City Police Department remind families of the following safety tips:
- Make sure children walk or bike to school (or any other location) with a friend.
- Walk the route to and from school with your children, pointing out safe places to go if they’re being followed or need help.
- Teach your children to ask permission before leaving home or playing outside. Make sure they check in with you if there is a change of plans.
- Caution children never to accept a ride from anyone unless you have told them it is okay to do so in every instance.
- Remind children that it is okay to say “no” to anything that makes them feel scared, uncomfortable, or confused – and that they should tell you if anything or anyone makes them feel this way.
- Tell children that if anyone tries to grab them, they should make a scene and make every effort to get away by kicking, screaming, and making as much noise as possible.
Thank you for helping us make children aware of these important precautions. The safety of our students is always our top priority!