• What is Adult Education?
    • Students receive individualized instruction in reading, writing, math, and HiSET (High School Equivalency Test) preparation. With flexible hours, students can find a time suitable for classes. Call (219) 873-2120 extension 8705 for complete information.  

    Who may attend?

    • Individuals age sixteen or older who are out of school.
    • Individuals preparing for the HiSET (High School Equivalency Test).
    • High school graduates in need of remediation.  
    • Individuals who are foreign-born to learn or improve English.  
    • Individuals who want to "brush up" on forgotten academic skills.  
    • You must have lived in Indiana for a minimum of 30 days before you can enroll and have an Indiana State ID.  

    Can I get a General/CORE40/Honors High School Diploma?

    • No, only HSE (High School Equivalency) diplomas are offered. 
    How long does it take to get my HSE?
    • This varies depending on your current skill set.  Students are tested upon enrollment to assess where their levels are and then they must complete a minimum of 12 contact hours prior to enrollment in ABE.  Teachers can give students a general idea once they have taken the original TABE test.  Much of this varies depending on how much time a student puts into the refresher coursework.

    General Information

    • AK Smith Career Center provides Adult Education and English as a Second Language classes to Indiana residents 16 years and older.
    • Minimum HST program requirements include:
      • Completing a placement test and a minimum of 12 hours of class time. 
      • Adult students may have post-test waived depending on scoring at entry.
    • Students ages 16 and 17 are required to complete the post-test and an HSE Readiness Assessment.

    Adult Ed and ESL Class Registration Information

    • New and returning students (who have not attended class over 90 days) must bring:
      • A valid Indiana driver’s license or Indiana ID.
      • High School Withdrawal form for students under 18.
      • If a student had an IEP or 504 plan, please provide these documents ASAP. It takes at least a month to get approval for HSE testing accommodation.
      • Be prepared to fill out paperwork and take a placement test. The complete registration process takes approximately 3-4 hours.

    Registering for the HiSET or Retest

    • Before registering for the HiSET, students must get a ticket from their teacher stating the student:
      • Has completed all pre-tests and required post-tests
      • Has a minimum of 12 hours of class time
      • Has been an active student within the last 90 days
    • Students ages 16 and 17 must also have a Superintendent Recommendation form signed after all other requirements are met.
       ****Students must bring their test ticket to register for the HSE Test,  so clear communication with teachers is imperative.****
    • You must also bring a valid Indiana driver’s license or Indiana ID to register for the test.
    • Tests are payable by cash, money order, or voucher. The HSE test is $115,  retakes are $23 each. Money orders are payable to: MCAS HSE.
     Cancellation Policy:  In the event of a cancellation, the testing candidate will receive a credit and the testing candidate will reschedule to take the HSE test at a later date.

    For HiSET test results 

    For Diploma and official HiSET results

    • A.K. Smith Career Center will receive the official HSE diploma and transcript 3-5 weeks after the test date and will call you to either pick them up or have them mailed.
    • If you have lost your original document(s) and need copies you would use the following website. Go to https://www.diplomasender.com  Register for the site and choose the document type according to your needs.  Your ID number is your Social Security number.
    For more information, contact jfregien@mcas.k12.in.us 
    To sign up, please fill out this form and you will be contacted by an Adult Ed. teacher.