E-Learning Day November 12, 2019
Complete each assignment posted in Google Classroom. “I can” statements for each assignment are listed below.
I can… Read and comprehend a variety of nonfiction within a range of complexity appropriate for grades 4-5.(5.RN.1)
I can... Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text. (5.RN.2)
Reading (20-30 minutes to complete)
- In Google Classroom, click on the assignment called Building Rainforest Background Knowledge. In this assignment, you will be directed to NewsELA where there is an article assigned to you. Please read the article and complete the assignments linked with it. Please highlight any words you do not understand in red. Any connections you make between the reading today and what we read yesterday in The Most Beautiful Roof in the World, highlight those in green. Submit when you are finished.
Independent Reading (20 minutes to complete)
- Select a book, magazine, newspaper, online articles or other reading material to read independently today. Ready for 20 minutes. You will respond to your reading today, like we’ve been doing in our reading journal. Since you do not have your journal with you, please get a piece of paper and include the following. Date (11/12/19), Title of what you read, pages read, a paragraph summarizing what you read.
Writing (15-20 minutes to complete)
I can...write routinely over a variety of time frames and for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences; apply reading standards to support reflection and response to literature and nonfiction texts. (5.W.1)
In Google Classroom, click on the assignment called Writing:Rainforest Adventures: Insects. Read the directions and complete the response. Make sure to include the title of the text you read on your assignment.
Math (40 minutes to complete)
I can… divide decimals to hundredths, using models or drawings and strategies based on place value or the properties of operations. Describe the strategy and explain the reasoning. (5.C.8)
- In Google Classroom, click on the assignment called Lesson 9 quiz. IF you have a printer, you can print off the quiz and complete it on the form. If you do not, no worries! Please answer the problems on a separate piece of paper. On the paper include your name and on the top label it LESSON 9 QUIZ. Do your best! Anything you get stuck on, skip it and we will finish it when we return to school tomorrow. There will be some of us that have to finish the quiz so there will be work time for it!
- Go to Google Classroom and select Dividing Decimals. Complete the google form and submit when you are finished! This is a self grading assignment so you will be able to see how you perform when you are finished! This is just another way for me to see how you are doing in your understanding of dividing decimals!
- In I-Ready, complete 20 minutes in your Math Pathways. Write down the name of the lessons you complete as well as your scores on a sheet of paper and bring them back to school with you tomorrow.
Social Studies (20-30 minutes)
We are going to begin a new unit in social studies on Native Americans. Before we get into any details about the topic, you are going to complete a word sort activity that will introduce some important vocabulary that they will be learning about in the unit.
In this activity you will read different words related to Native Americans and decide which larger category the word belongs in.
- In Google Classroom, click on the assignment called Native Americans: Word Sort. Read the list of words on the right hand side. Decide which category you think each word belongs in and type the word in the correct box. Don’t forget to hit the turn in button when you have completed it.
I look forward to seeing you tomorrow! Have a great day today and stay warm!!