• Work Permits for Students

    IMPORTANT: Please note that work permits are no longer required for:
    Non-Indiana residents
    Homeschool minors
    Minors enrolled in a CTE (Career and Technical Education) program
    Minors enrolled in Indiana Connections Career Academy or Indiana Virtual High School courses.

    ** Restrictions prohibiting 16 and 17-year-olds to work during school hours 7:30am - 3:30pm without school permission has been removed. This still applies to 14 and 15-year-olds **

    ** "Work Permit Termination Notice" is no longer required to be returned to the school upon termination. **

    Additional Youth employment laws that became effective April 1, 2020 are still in effect and should be followed. A summary of those laws can be found here.


    • MCHS students (First Grading Period 2020): Work Permits will be issued at the high school. 
      - Parent/student may drop off the Intent to Employ form in the front office on any day, Monday through Friday, from 7:00am -2:00 pm
      - The work permit will be ready for pick-up by the student the next day by appointment only. 
      - Call for an appointment at 219-873-2044, extension 4443 (Mrs. Wanda DeMunck) or 4304 (Mrs. Joyce Westphal)
    • All others: Permits are issued at the MCAS Administration Building (408 S. Carroll Avenue, Michigan City, IN 46360)

    Permits will be issued from the Admin Building during the following hours:

    • During the school year: Mon - Fri, 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM & 12:00 PM - 3:30 PM
    • Summer: Mon - Thu, 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM & 12:00 PM - 3:30 PM

    To receive a work permit, you will need:

    • An "Intent to Employ" form, already completed by the employer. The form can be found online (click here and scroll down to "Posters and Forms for Employers"). The student may also receive a physical copy from their prospective employer or from the MCAS Administration Building.
    • Certified Birth Certificate from the Health Department (not needed if applying at MCHS. All students applying at the Ad Building must bring a birth certificate.)
    • The student must be physically present.

    Frequently Asked Questions:

    • Permits are issued at no cost.
    • Students from the age of 14 through 17 may apply. If students are over 18, a work permit is not needed.
    • Barker and Krueger students may come to the MCAS Administration Building. They will also need a letter from their school which states they are in good standing for the current school year.
    • MCHS students may receive their work permit from the MCHS School Office during the school year (SEE ABOVE). During summer, they may come to the MCAS Administration Building.
    • MCHS students do not need to bring their birth certificate.
    • If the student is a Michigan City resident but attends a school other than MCHS, they must go to their own school's office to receive the permit. This includes Marquette High School and other public high schools.
    • If the student is an Indiana resident but plans on working in any other state, they must ask their prospective employer for further assistance. The MCAS Administration Building only issues permits for jobs within the state of Indiana.
    • Withdrawn students who attend the Michigan City Adult Ed. program (currently housed at the A.K. Smith Center) may come to the MCAS Administration Building. No letter of good standing is needed.
    • Please CLICK HERE for more information about Work Permits from the Indiana Department of Labor.