Thank you for your interest in Substitute Teaching!
Michigan City Area Schools is currently seeking subs at all grade levels.
Substitute teachers must possess at least 30 hours of college credit.
Current compensation rates for subs:
$60 per day for non-degree (minimum 30 hours credit)
$65 per day for bachelor's or master's degree
$80 per day for valid Indiana teachers' license
REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
- IF YOU HAVE A VALID INDIANA TEACHER’S LICENSE YOU DO NOT NEED TO APPLY FOR A SUBSTITUTE PERMIT.
- The Substitute Permit must be applied for through the Indiana Department of Education at IDOE's License Verification and Information System or if you have questions call (317) 232-9010. Pay online with your personal Visa or MasterCard. The online application process is more self-service and each applicant will be able to create a personal profile and License Verification and Information System (LVIS) account. You create a personal profile that you can update as necessary. Automatic email message will be sent to you with updates on the status of your sub permit application. As soon as your license is approved you can log in to your LVIS account and print your credential.
- There will be a fee of approximately $30.00 for a background check; DCS search and license search. You must apply for your background check on line on at Background Check. Once you apply for your background check, you will receive an email in your mailbox acknowledging that you have applied. It takes anywhere from 2 to 7 days for Personnel to receive the results. When completing the information on line, please be sure to select the sub teacher from the drop down .
- Must have at least 30 college credit hours and must have transcripts showing credit hours (these do not have to be official and can be printed off line as long as your name and university are in the body of the transcript).
- Must bring in your original social security card and one of the following: State issued ID, driver’s license, birth certificate or passport to complete the I9 form.
- Must watch a Bloodborne Pathogen Power Point presentation and the Bully Prevention and Intervention Power Point presentation at the Administration Building and answer TB questionnaire.
- Other paper work includes, payroll and consent forms.
Once you have received notification that your background check has been received in the Personnel Office and you have all documents in-hand as outlined above, you may return to the Personnel Office to complete the substitute teacher process.
Thank you in advance for your interest in Michigan City Area Schools.